We would like to share an opportunity of a lifetime with African American young men in our community. Kappa League is an organization dedicated to helping young men of high school age in the city of Southfield and all throughout the Detroit metropolitan area to grow and develop their leadership talents in every field of human endeavor. Kappa Leaguers develop these gifts through their participation in programs and activities that stimulate leadership characteristics, develop organizational skills, and create an environment of achievement. Furthermore, their full potential for growth and development is maximized through their connection with advisors and mentors from Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., whose primary purpose is to help the young men of the Kappa League achieve the greatness within them.
The Southfield Kappa League requires all interested parties to participate in the application procedure to be considered for membership. The process typically lasts from March through June of each year, with approximately 15-20 new initiates being accepted. Applicants are required to meet the following requirements:
– Submitting membership application and supporting documents by mail or email
– Minimum 2.0 G.P.A. [4.0 scale].
– A copy of the most recent grades, submitted by the date of the interview
– Enrollment in high school as a Freshman, Sophomore, or Junior in the fall of the following school year
– A Letter of interest explaining why you wish to be considered for membership, submitted by the applicant (1 full page – typed and double spaced)
– 2 Letters of recommendation.
– 1 from a teacher or counselor
– 1 from a community leader – e.g. pastor, employer, coach, mentor, etc.
– Participation in an interview
Once all requirements have been submitted, the candidates’ information will then be reviewed by the Southfield Kappa League Executive Board and the Fraternity’s Kappa League Advisory Board. Interviews of qualified candidates will be scheduled within a month. Each candidate will be notified of his interview date and time.
Applications to join the Southfield Kappa League for gentlemen entering the 9th, 10th, or 11th grade for the 2018-19 academic year will be available for download beginning March 26, 2018 and will be due (postmarked by) June 1, 2018.
Download application here.